Author Topic: A Fateful Restart  (Read 637 times)

Description: attn: Siera

Conor Donovan

HUNTER

A Fateful Restart
« on: July 29, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »

Preparation was one part planning, the other part foresight. Pulling out his suit jacket from his locker at work, Conor set it aside in the shower area so that the steam of the water would help reduce any of the worst wrinkles and went in to shower. Something about working around dead bodies forces the facilities to ensure that there is a shower area for their employee's to be able to clean up before heading out. Not a lot of time to go so, Conor got in and out pretty quick, checked his slight stubble and accepted it with a shrug. He shaved that morning and already there was growth. It was just the way of things. Collecting his things, he finished dressing, put aside his shampoo bag back into his locker, he headed out of the Coroner's office and dumped the last of his things into the back of his car.

The gunmetal BMW 4 Series car took him onto the highway, the GPS navigating him to an area near the pier where his supposed date was to meet him at 8 30. Tar & Roses was a pricier place for a first date, but it came highly recommended as a seafood place that also served some very nice wines and other types of food. Not to mention it was within walking distance of the Santa Monica Pier which was a hot spot for nightlife and evening gameplay.

The hard part about all of this wasn't the date.

Dates tended to be a hit or miss with him on most days. (As Devin liked to rub into his nose). It was the mystery of his newest lady. Shaking his head, he took the next exit and headed closer to the restaurant, arriving just 5 minutes before. Good thing he had called ahead to reserve a table and ensured that anything she ordered to start was taken care of. Being a coroner did not always pay well. It was the other job that did. That job which now weighed heavily enough that he only hoped not to get called out of his date for a hunt.

He had waited a good month for this one because of scheduling. This damn demon, or whatever it was, better not ruin a good night of fun.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:00:41 PM by Seraphim »

Amelia Clark

WITCH

Re: A Fateful Restart
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »

There were plenty of things that Amelia had to do in a day, and it seemed that the moment she got one thing there was always another being added to that pile but she liked being busy, it kept her from thinking too much on anything else. There was lots that Amelia could look back on in her life and question but really, it all it all turned out good in the end and that was all that mattered. Amelia kept busy with her job at the cafe, she loved every single thing she did there but she also had her own things that she did on the side, many of which had her spending a lot of time outside but that a side effect she was totally okay with.

Amelia had actually gotten so caught up in one of her spells that she completely lost track of time and it wasn't until her phone went off reminding her about her date that she realized what time it was. There was a part of Amelia that hated dates, she would have much preferred to just sit at home and watch a movie on Netflix with comfortable PJ's or just an oversized sweater, she wasn't that picky really but after some encouragement from her friends she did agree to this blind date even though she had no idea who the guy was.

It took long enough for them to finally figure out a date, between her schedule and his it took over a month before they had a date but once they did Amelia figured there would be no cancelling, no one waited that long for a date if they were planning on cancelling. Going through her closet Amelia found a striped shirt and threw on some black dress shorts and some sandals before heading out, using public transit. Even though she had lived here for years she had never really learned how to drive or really loved the idea of it, it just seemed terrifying really. Because of her mode of transportation, she showed up early and after looking around a few stores nearby she made her into the restaurant where they were supposed to meet, already anxious. If he did stand her up she would likely look like a fool and while she would do her best to shrug it off she just hoped that it wouldn't happen. Eventually though, the door did open very close to their scheduled meeting time and Amelia looked over at the man, Conor?. She hoped the date wouldn't be a total disaster but she was doing her best to keep her hopes up.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:10:43 PM by Amelia Clark »

Conor Donovan

HUNTER

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:13:01 PM »

"Amelia?" He greeted her with a smile. He tried not to keep it too cheesy, since he wasn't trying to fail to pick her up in the bar, he gave her a slight bow of his head before greeting her with a handshake. She was quite pretty, with blonde hair and bright eyes. Already he could tell that she was way out of his league. Sometimes with his occupation, he wondered why he bothers to date at all. But he loved the idea of being in love and as a hopeless romantic he couldn't help himself. "I've heard good things about you, and its great to finally meet you. I hope that this place wasn't too terribly hard to find?"

He motioned for her to go ahead and lead the way in. Offering up his name for a moment so that they could locate their seats. They had a minute while they cleaned up the table - apparently, they were a server down for the evening but it didn't phase him at all. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long. It's a bit of commute from work and sometimes the traffic can be unpredictable." Even though he was on time it felt polite to give a casual apologetic statement lest she had been there much earlier.

Amelia Clark

WITCH

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 06:06:52 PM »

Amelia wasn't sure what to really expect when she first met Conor, she did expect some awkwardness since she at least really didn't know that much about him. She knew that he had a busy job, but she really didn't know a lot about him beyond that their mutual friend said that he was a good guy, but Amelia would be holding judgement on that so that she could make her own as she got to know him. One of the downsides of her upbringing was that she wasn't quick to trust, but once she did trust someone she pretty much trusted them for life.

Nodding as he said her name she reached out her hand to shake it, she ever had the firmest handshake but this wasn't an interview so she doubted that he would be judging her based on how she shook her hand. "I've heard good things about you too, so you better live up to them." Looking up at him she smiled before looking down quickly. "It was easy to find, not many places with the same name." She really hadn't had to look hard to find it, and really, just about everything was easy to find and get to once you knew the public transit systems.

After he motioned for her to go in she stepped in, letting him give his name. The server told them that it would be a minute as they had to clear the table first but Amelia didn't mind waiting, she felt sympathy for them being short a server during an obviously busy time. "It's ok, you didn't keep me waiting very long." She had been here early thanks to the bus schedule but that wasn't his fault. "Traffic here is one of the reasons I refuse to drive, I just couldn't imagine weaving through all the cars." It seemed like a major headache to her so she would just avoid it.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:10:28 PM by Amelia Clark »

Conor Donovan

HUNTER

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »

Can't be all good things." He said with a bit of a good-humored laugh. "Unless they were really trying to talk me up to you, then I'm afraid I'll likely disappoint. Usually, they only let me out in public once a month or so. Like a socially inept vampire." There was a smirk on his lips, "Then I just break the dance floor like a white guy." He watched her reactions, gauging if at all she was kosher with his childlike humor. When one lives in two very adult-like worlds it was the silly things that kept him sane. Or only added to his insanity. Conor really needed to stop assuming there was even a difference between the two. He listened to her talk about the bus and walking, and almost regretted the fact that actually had a fancy car. He liked his car, but he didn't get it to impress anyone. It just had fantastic mileage and could out-drive most of the nasties if he needed a quick getaway.

"They can be a hassle." He admitted, "unfortunately my job requires that I travel from time to time, not to mention rent is cheaper a little further out of the way." Not that money was really an issue as the inheritance left behind from his folks more than set them up for life, but Conor happily kept that from his brother lest he finds another reason to be lazy. "So, what is it that you do? Kristen didn't really say when she talked you up. Just that you liked animals? Got any pets?"

Before the waiter could get to them, he cleared his throat before speaking again. She seemed nice enough that it would be better if she left now before storming out with a look of horror on her face. "I work as a Coroner and my little brother is about the only pet that I have. I hope you don't mind too terribly. I'd hate to force you to sit through dinner with someone who works in my field if that made you uncomfortable." All good things. He bet that no one told her what he did. Getting a girlfriend was hard enough with two different lives let alone cutting open the dead. And undead...

Amelia Clark

WITCH

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 07:18:16 PM »

Smiling at him from across the table Amelia shook her head ever so slightly, "Well I'm sure they were trying to talk you up to me but surely there must be some truth in it all?" She had no doubt that there many parts of him that were good, but she never expected him to be perfect, no one was. She wouldn't expect anyone she even considered to date would be perfect, she was far from it and she would only be a disappointment to anyone. Hearing him mention vampires she did wonder if he knew that they actually existed but it wasn't something she was about to bring up. "Well I wouldn't expect anything else, at least you have the guts to make it to the dance floor." There was something to be said about a certain amount of confidence and he seemed confident enough in himself.

Amelia didn't have anything against people driving, it was just too much for her. There was too much to focus on to think about and work on. It was just much easier for her to take the bus and not have to worry about it. "I'm lucky that I never had to travel for my job, although if I did I know I would have to suck it up and just learn to drive. The cheaper rent certainly is something that is appealing.." She would love to live out closer to nature but the commute would just be too much. "Maybe one day, it's good to have goals right?" Smiling at him she reached for her glass of water to take a drink. "I'm a barista at Lunar Bean Cafe, I don't know if you've heard of it but you should try it if you're ever around. I know I'm biased but we have the best coffee." She wouldn't drink coffee from anywhere else, but it certainly helped that she knew exactly how to brew it. "No pets yet, but it's something I'm working on." She was looking for a certain bird but it was a work in progress.

Hearing him clear his throat Amelia looked up at him, almost concerned at what he was going to say but hearing him being so concerned about his job had her letting out a small laugh. "I'm afraid if you want to send me running you're going to have to say something a lot worse that than." Leaning back in her chair she tried to hide a smile before her glass of water, but she knew it was a bit of a failure. "Besides, if you work with the dead it means you can't kill anyone with your bad jokes." Her friend had told her about his love of jokes so she just couldn't resist. "A brother? Older or younger?"

Conor Donovan

HUNTER

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 05:29:11 PM »

Lunar Bean? I've heard of that place. The younger cops seem to like the place. They show up with cups from that place and it smells amazing. Smells good, but I don't really drink it." He gave a bit of a shrug. It was back in his early years of College when he was juggling training with the Hunters and trying to get a degree at the same time it became a needed boost. But after a month or so he noticed the drop in his caffeine levels would cause serious issues in his performances day to day so he quit. Tea, when he needed it, was about the most he would have. Not that it stopped him from drinking alcohol on occasion. He wasn't a complete drinking prude!

"Besides, if you work with the dead it means you can't kill anyone with your bad jokes." He laughed merrily at her joke, charmed by her wit he already found Amelia endearing. "Yes, yes. It is a dying art form in my world." He gave her a grin as the waiter finally came by. Conor let Amelia order first and then ordered an old-fashioned sour cocktail for himself along with a few tasty apps for them to try.

"Younger. Eh's still mucking about in school undecided on what to major in, but at least I can keep him straight by going to the gym with me. It's been the two of us for quite a while so I try to keep myself out of trouble for him." Though the place was busy it was small and within minutes their drinks were delivered. "It's basically just the two of us, so you may have to forgive me if you ever feel inclined to visit my place. I've had a dinner party or two, but it's mostly just a bad poker night with co-workers." He gave a shrug. Conor felt he was a bit of an oxymoron at times with his life. Young and a bit of a party animal, but also a seriously good Coronor with a slight talent for killing the undead at night. He really did live up to the fact that he was not 'normal'.

"How about you? Any siblings? How did you come to work in a coffee shop? I don't mean this in a judging way at all, but did you have dreams to be an Actor or anything, or is coffee the life for you?" He really did admire those that started and ran their own little businesses just because they just loved the product. Be it a cafe, a parlor, ice cream, anything. It was what their society should be built on instead of the large corporations that threw up large skyscrapers.

Amelia Clark

WITCH

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 06:20:58 PM »

Smiling over at Conor, Amelia shook her head slightly,  "We have more than just coffee you know."[/b] The coffee was the best in her opinion but she knew that she was a little biased. She just really loved coffee but they had tea, other drinks and some baked goods. The whole atmosphere was just something she really loved and it made going to work worth it every single day. She actually really loved her job and she wouldn't trade it for anything.

She let the topic drop though, maybe if this date went well he would come by to see her at work. Smiling at her comment about not killing anyone she shook her head at his comment before ordering a glass of wine, letting him order an assortment of appetizers for them to try. She wasn't overly hungry yet but she was sure that once she smelled the food she would be starving.

Amelia nodded along as Conor talked about his brother. She didn't have any siblings so she didn't really know what it was like but it seemed as though he got along with his brother really well, something she assumed was a good thing. She couldn't imagine living with someone that she didn't get along with, she actually quite liked living on her own, there was no one to get in her way and she liked being alone on evenings.

"Not sibling here, just my parents."[/b] She didn't even know where they were not, she had run away from that life and she wasn't ever going to look back she had washed her hands of that and she couldn't think about it now.  "I, well I didn't really ever have a dream to be honest. It sounds bad, but I just didn't find out what I loved to do until I got my job at Lunar Bean. It's turned into my passion and I can't really imagine doing anything else."[/b] She really did love her job, she loved the work and the atmosphere and she had started to make a few friends which was rare for her.  "What about you? Any passions beyond work?"[/b]

Conor Donovan

HUNTER

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »

The appetizers became a meal and as they chattered the food continued until plates were empty and only drinks were on a refill. He liked her, she was nice though a little closed off with secrets of her own. Having learned to read such things because of his nighttime job, it was an easy fault to forgive. There was nothing notorious about keeping secrets.

Not to mention that when she laughed her eyes brightened in the cutes way even if that laugh was not always out loud. It almost felt like a challenge for him to see if she could break her refrained exterior. It was a positive challenge and it made him feel drawn to her because of it.

"Well, I had thought for a time that I wanted to be a stand-up comedian. I think I ran the gamut of professions before landing on the dead. Sports was always an easy way to get through the tuition part of a school, but somehow this was a calling. It wasn't so much that the type of work didn't bother me but more because of the puzzles that weren't always easy to solve." He sipped his beer, feeling delightfully full from the meal. "And yet I can't watch those crime solving shows on TV. They get so much wrong that it's nearly cringe-worthy. All for good ratings."

Then the inevitable 'what else do you do' question came up. The flicker in his eyes was hard to keep from her so he hid it behind another sip of his drink. A passion to keep the world safe from the evils? Things that he definitely did not bring up on a first date. Though he had once as a poorly timed joke even then the truth felt too close to real that it wasn't at all funny to him.

"I guess I'm still finding it. I like my work, I have my brother to keep out of trouble but as far as life goes it seems to be an eternal search for something to be passionate about. I certainly don't want to say my job. I like it, a lot. But it's hard to be passionate with a corpse without being called a necrophiliac." He picked up the bill easily enough, he did pick the place. Thankful still that whatever was hunting about the night had not interrupted his night so far. It was still early, but at least he got to have a full meal with some nice company. "The boardwalk isn't far, would you like to accompany me for some games and night lights?"

Amelia Clark

WITCH

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 06:32:25 PM »

Conversation with Conor was oddly easy, Amelia actually enjoyed the time that she had spent with him so far and while she didn't know if it would go any further than tonight, for now, she was at least looking forward to seeing where tonight went. So far there was just these ease about them, she hadn't felt this comfortable around anyone in a while not this natural ease anyway. It was one of those rare things, like finding your niche in magic but she couldn't exactly make that comparison to him, that would just make him really think that she was crazy, and she had gotten enough of that over the years.

"A calling? Well, it's a very unique one." Not that Amelia was about to judge, if anything she was the furthest from judging as she possibly could be. When it came to weird professions, she probably was the weirdest out of them both, at least he was just human, he didn't have to worry about the supernatural or anything. It almost would have been nice to live in that bliss, to not think about everything that was going on behind the scenes, but Amelia wouldn't give her magic up for anything, it was a huge part of who she was. Smiling as he went on to explain that for him, it was a huge puzzle it actually made sense and oddly enough, it made her want to see him solving one of these puzzles. "I think most TV is far too exaggerated, there is a small list of shows I watch." Of course, she was also busy with other things but given the option, she would rather curl up with a good book than watch TV.

Looking up at him as he spoke she gave him a soft smile and nodded, she had been lucky to find her passion and what she was good at but it wasn't like she could go screaming it from the rooftops either. "I think if you stop looking for new things that you're interested in you stop living." While Amelia had found her niche, it didn't stop her from playing around within that niche. She loved experimenting and figuring out different things she could do. It was simply what made her happy and she knew that she deserved some sort of happiness. Pushing her plate aside Amelia stood up, giving him a smile as she used her napkin to wipe off her hands. "Sure, I'd like that. But remember, you have to let me win." Her smile widened just a little bit more as she spoke, feeling more confident and at ease with each passing moment.

Conor Donovan

HUNTER

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »
"I think if you stop looking for new things that you're interested in you stop living."

"Sure, I'd like that. But remember, you have to let me win."

Conor was deeply charmed by her, more so because of the simple normality of the entire evening. Something so very rare in either line of his work. Even as a Coroner there were few days in between those things could be considered 'normal' in Los Angeles. Creative people died in the most fascinating ways.

But Amelia?

She was a breath of life.

"Maybe if you pay for the first game I could play fairly." He teased as he escorted her to the Pier.

fin.