Author Topic: Afternoon at the Fire and Ice Tearoom  (Read 484 times)

Description:

Ynis Brackenridge

THERIANTHROPE

Afternoon at the Fire and Ice Tearoom
« on: January 20, 2019, 05:50:12 PM »
It's too warm for January, I miss the snow

Her thoughts drifted to the daily forecast as she walked with shoulders faintly hunched and head tilted up just enough to see any obstacles around her and avoid them.  Even at 2pm in the afternoon, on a weekday when things should have been quiet, there were too many people on the streets.  A part of Ynis hated this.  Los Angeles was a city of crowds, a city of far too many people trying to coexist in too small a space.  Just trying to avoid brushing up against other people in some places was almost impossible.  The one night Ynis had bothered to go to a club to see what all the fuss was over the place, she'd lasted only an hour before she'd had to seek air outside.

And yet, in all of the chaos, the smog, the traffic, there was one place that Ynis knew she could go for a bit of peace.

She sighed in relief as she turned down a side street and glanced up at the sign.  In bright red and blue against a pale gray background the words "Fire and Ice Tearoom" drew her in like a welcoming light in the night dark.  She pulled her hands from the pockets of her black skinny jeans and ducked inside, the steady clop of her heavy velvet blue boots announcing her entrance.  She wore a pale gray sweater over a teal tanktop despite the high of almost 70 today, seeming to take comfort in the warmth of her clothing.

A few curious eyes of the half a dozen patrons at tables or sprawled in one of the comfortable chairs the tearoom had scattered through the sitting area glanced up, but then immediately went back to her own business.  In the few months she'd been here, Ynis had become a regular at the teashop. 

A cheerful man with swept back ginger hair and an impressive mustache greeted her at the counter.  "Ynis, the usual?" he asked.

"Let's go with the Chocolate Chili Chai and one of the cherry scones today, Driscoll," she told him as she pulled a bifold wallet free from her back pocket and handed her card over.  "Large please." 

Driscoll made a hum of assessment and rung up her purchase.  He delivered her card and one cherry scone back to her before turning to make her cup of tea.  Ynis let herself slowly relax, her shoulders untensing as she stood to one side of the counter and waited for her tea.

Tabitha Rook

THERIANTHROPE

Re: Afternoon at the Fire and Ice Tearoom
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 12:41:36 AM »

Canceled. Dressed up and nowhere to go, Tabitha was remised to find just about anywhere to hole up instead of having to go home because another round of interviews was once again canceled outside her control. Fucking rats and faulting wiring was what the casting director had posted on the door. Can't record their talent while a studio was being rewired and there wasn't a back up that was available at a similar hour nearby. A deep breath with a strong roll of her eyes, she just shook her head with unabased frustration at her luck. Sher, there was a family curse but not able to keep good, honest work should not be included. The world was entirely unfair to her!

The cafe seemed nice enough on the outside and the sign shined enough to appeal past her better judgment, so instead of finding another place for some unaffordable retail therapy Tabitha walked into the Tea house.

The Tea house, not a cafe, was quaint and unique. Curious about the menu, the smells were raw and inviting - much like the exterior of the place. Walking up to the line that shortened at a healthy and steady pace that while she could read the menu fast enough Tabitha was at a loss what to get.

"What can I get for you?" Asked a man behind the counter, red hair that Tabitha wasn't quite noticing as her eye's scanned the menu.

"Oh. um. I've not been here before. I like all kinds of teas and such. Nutty flavors are out. What would you recommend?" looking at him finally taking in who it was she was talking to.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 05:17:35 PM »
Driscoll took an assessing look at the dark haired woman before him as he handed Ynis an earthenware mug.  He detested giving paper cups to those who ordered in, and insisted on good, strong earthware dishes for both the food and drinks he served in his Tearoom.  He glanced once over at the array of large tea tins on the shelves behind him and gave a sharp nod before pulling two tins down and setting them on the counter before Tabitha. 

"Since nutty is out, I might suggest something a bit more floral," he replied.  It also depends on if you wanted something caffinated or if you're looking at something for more flavor than caffeine.  My personal favorite is the Honey Prosecco."  He opened the tin labeled honey prosecco and carefully tilted the lid so that he could gently waft the flavor of the tea to Tabitha.  Honeydew melon, rose petals, sunflow blossoms, honey hints.  Flavor is a bit like honey wine without the alcohol or potency.  It's an herbal tea, so no caffeine."|  He set that tin aside and then opened the second, again wafting the scent so that Tabitha could get a sense of it.  "If you want something with caffeine, then perhaps something a bit more fruity.  This one is called Blackberry Jam.  It's a black tea, so highest caffeine any tea will have, but it's fruity.  We've got a couple more with a fruit base if you are interested."

He was aware that one might be overwhelmed by the array of tea that the Tearoom carried, all loose leaf.  Driscoll wouldn't be caught dead serving bagged tea in the Tearoom.  That was one thing he had insisted upon when he'd opened the place.  The tea they served at Starbucks was bagged, as it was in many other coffee shops around the city.  The Fire and Ice Tea Room specialized in tea, and only tea.  He refuse to even consider selling coffee since there were a thousand other places you could get that around the city, but few places you could get an actual good tea.

He could see his regular patron watching, and arched one fine red brow at Ynis before gesturing to indicate perhaps she could give her own recommendation to the woman.  He had served Ynis with pretty much every tea selection available in the shop at one point or another. 

Ynis Brackenridge

THERIANTHROPE

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
The Selkie watched the exchange between the new customer and Driscoll.  People watching was totally a thing for Ynis.  Having grown up in a very small community where most of the people they dealt with they'd known their entire lives, she'd been fascinated the first time she'd traveled to a major city and observed people in anything but a small village setting where everyone lived in each other's pockets more or less.  Humans were weird about personal space, she'd learned over the years, depending on what culture you were visiting.  Where some might greet each other with a kiss on the cheek, in another city that might be considered a horrible breach of personal space.

She had always thought Driscoll was very careful and aware of personal space, he'd always been very careful with her at first, very careful not to touch strangers from what she could see, and it had taken her a good six months of knowing him before he wouldn't flinch at a brush of her hand against his.  But fae were odd creatures.

Ynis snorted at the teashop owner when he raised his brow at her.  She had her own opinions of the teas here, but since she frequented the place four or five days a week, she supposed she could give her opinion. 

She took a long sip of her own tea first as the scent wafted to her nose before she replied with her own two cents.

"For the afternoon, I'd suggest the blackberry jam," she told Tabitha with a faint smile.  "Try that with some of the mini vannilla scones, they set off the flavor nicely, sort of like a berries and cream thing.  Or if you prefer muffins, the spice cake muffin is just sweet enough to go well with it without being overly sweet."

Now, it might be considered rude to interject yourself into someone else's conversation, but since Driscoll had given her the go-ahead...

@Tabitha Rook

Tabitha Rook

THERIANTHROPE

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »

Tabitha weighted over the information that the tea barista? - is it really a barista if they are just serving tea? She felt a need to look that up on her phone but decided to wait before actually entertaining the thought. The first sounded lovely, the combination of rose and honey one of her favorite ever since Mom and Dad brought back a rare tea back from their last trip to Japan. However, it was still early in the afternoon and she wouldn't mind a proper pick-me-up with the caffeine. But a good Rose tea was hard to turn down. Leaning over the counter she smelled them both and gave a throating sigh of pleasure because both smelled amazing!

Tapper her lip thoughtfully, not quite sure what to make the decision for the woman that was just served spoke up and made an excellent suggestion but in the most unique accent, she had heard in a long time!

"I think, the Blackberry Tea. Please?" Looking into her purse for a moment and at the pricing of the scone and tried not to feel too disappointed that she couldn't afford both without using her nearly capped credit card. A proper lunch would have to wait until she got home. Smiling warmly at the woman, "Thank you! You, by the way, have the most fascinating accent! Might I ask, where are you from? I just love to collect different accents." Tabitha tried not to mimic the accent on queue, feeling she needed to listen to it more to really get the cute's and variations in her words and tones just right. Either way, Tabitha couldn't wait to do a small recording with it for possible future auditions.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »
Driscoll gave a sharp nod at Tabitha's order and turned, expertly spooning the tea into a strainer and fetching a heavy, red earthenware mug.  He added the strainer and timed the seeping mentally.  As long as Driscoll had been around, he'd learned to time the proper tea seepage by site and never needed any sort of timer or other mortal device for such things.  His brother possessed the same skill, but then the two of them had been drinking some version of tea for decades.  He watched the subtle changes in the woman's expression as he set the finely brewed blackberry tea before her a few minutes later.  Then he grabbed a piece of small parchment paper and pulled one of the mini scones out of the display case and set it next to her tea.  "Consider it a sample," he said with a quick smile before he turned his attention to the next customer.

Ynis Brackenridge

THERIANTHROPE

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
Ynis took a sip of tea as she considered Tabitha's question and permitted herself a slight chuckle before she replied.  "My accent? she said.  "I originally hail from Scotland.  It's been some years since I wandered the shores of my native isle, and I'd like to visit again soon, but that all depends on how work goes."

She'd never minded admitting the general area of where she was from, but Ynis would never show someone she didn't truly know and trust the location of the village she'd come from.  She found herself a bit curious about the woman's comment on 'collecting' accents.  Tapping her finger on the handle of her tea mug for a moment, she then gestured towards a corner of the tea room where an empty table sat with two plush, mismatched armchairs, one in a pale pink and covered in roses, and the other an odd shade of green.  Ynis did wonder where the Tea Room found some of its furniture sometimes.  Most of it didn't match, but it gave the tea room a cozy feeling.

"You collect accents?" she asked, her tone holding her curiosity.  She didn't quite know how a person collected accents.  "How do you manage that, and perhaps why do you do so?  I must confess it sounds like quite an interesting hobby.  My hobbies sound a bit more boring, usually reading or swimming."

@Tabitha Rook

Tabitha Rook

THERIANTHROPE

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »

Tabitha flushed a little at the scone sample and gave the Barista a bright smile. "Thank you! Thank you so much!" Genuinely happy for the first really that entire day. It may have felt more like a waste of time, but nothing soothes a crow's feathers than a kind gift of food. She could not help but preen over it regardless of the simplicity. Accepting her tea, she tried to refrain from sipping the hot tea too soon and burning herself. 

Turning to the other woman, her mind picking some of the flecks in her tone, though not enough of a wording choice to really collect what she could substitute, she returned her reply in the same lulled baroque as offered. "It is a hobby from my youth that I am making into a payable living." Returning back into her own accent. "Accents have always been fun for me as a kid, so I figured I may as well get paid for it. Living in LA and all, it made sense to be a voice-over actor." She gave her tea a light blow, "I'm Tabitha, by the way. And if you know anyone that needs to hire a voice on a budget..."